Fauji Foundation Health
Artificial Limb Centre
Artificial Limbs Centre (ALC)
Artificial Limbs Centre (ALC) is the first centre of its kind in the sub-continent. Establishment of ALC stems back from early 1900s in Puna, India which was later shifted to Pakistan at Sialkot in 1936 and then to Lahore in 1946, under the control of Pak Army. Purpose of ALC was to facilitate injury borne soldiers of war in need of prosthesis. After 1965 war, majority of casualties were found to be from northern part of Pakistan, therefore ALC was shifted to Rawalpindi under Fauji Foundation’s control, in order to improve proximity.
There is no denying to the fact that ALC is a pioneer in Pakistan. On the average it provides over 7,000 orthotic and prosthetic appliances every year, approximately one-third of which go to civilian patients. Ex-servicemen, their families, and those eligible for zakat, are facilitated free of cost. Since, taken over by Fauji Foundation in 1966, it has provided 2,34,201 orthotic and prosthetic appliances to patients, besides having done repair work on another 93,911.
After the earthquake of 8th October, 2005, the Artificial Limbs Centre played a major role in the provision of prostheses and orthoses to the injured by fitting 259 prostheses and orthoses. In collaboration with the ICRC (the International Committee of the Red Cross), it carried out a reach-out program at Muzafarabad, Azad Jamu & Kashmir by providing artificial limbs and supporting appliances.
In view of its importance in respective domain ALC in 2012 shifted to its new purpose built building within Fauji Foundation Hospital Rawalpindi. It has covered area of 37,500 sq.ft. and completed with budget cost of Rs 105 million.
ALC is presently providing latest type of 3rd generation prosthetics / orthoses to disabled patients by using modular prosthetic components.